James Terry Court – RMBI
The vision for this development was to provide a 75 bed ensuite residential care home with 14 extra care apartments. Royal Masonic Benevolence Institution’s (RMBI) brief was to provide the greenest most sustainable building with a 100 year life span.
The refurbishment has incorporated facilities into the care home including:
- Spacious bedrooms fitted with the latest mobility equipment
- En-suite wet rooms and showers in all bedrooms
- New dining rooms, entrance, lounge and break out rooms
- An onsite hair salon and pamper room
- Step free access from central facilities to all rooms
- New dementia wing with dedicated garden
- A beautiful rooftop garden and ground floor terraces accessible to all residents
Services delivered for the project include all energy strategies and option appraisals (including dynamic thermal modelling), and all mechanical, electrical and public health design. BREEAM Excellent was to be achieved within a carefully controlled budget through application of: a green roof on the central areas, combined heat and power systems (CHP), high thermal mass, natural ventilation in communal areas, under-floor heating, maximisation of natural day lighting, rainwater harvesting, air source heat pump, low-energy lighting, heat recovery, PIR detection in rooms, building management system with simple user interfaces.